Friday, November 25, 2005

Arrival In Chennai

Hello all apologies the blog is a little behind - just trying to find suitable internet places, most have a good speed but you risk being eaten alive by mozzies !!!

These are my impressions just after we arrived in Chennai

One of the things that I was really bracing myself for when I thought about coming to India was the onslaught of confusion, haggling, harassing and general chaos that most people have described as the airport scene when you arrive. Amazingly when we arrived at the airport about 10pm we got through customs at the speed of light, went straight to the prepaid taxi stand, paid exactly what we were meant to for a taxi voucher, had our bags whisked away by the attendant packed into the back of a taxi, a short relatively death free ride, spotted with a few excited moments of seeing cows and funny tiny trucks and we were at our hotel, showered changed and off to bed.

Another thing that I was bracing myself for was the smell, I imagined a very pooey kind of smell, but maybe blanketed by the night air, the smell was more an industrial, chemical one, but overall not to bad - however now that I have been in India for a while the smell is decidedly of piss and shit just about everywhere we go.

And another thing that I was bracing myself for was the heat, and at a mild 25 degrees it was rather pleasant after the rigid chill of the plane.

But the ride in the dark was dazzling - crumbling buildings, rubbish, carts and cows lit by street lights under which florescent boxes showed adds for IT super parks while on large overhead billboards showed Nicole Kidman advertising Omega watches.
India really is like moving back and forward in time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home